Upload OnBase Keyword List to Excel
Keyword integrity in an electronic repository is critical. If documents do not have accurate keywords, the accuracy of retrieving documents will be compromised – you may not be able to find the documents later.
One way to help ensure accurate keywords are being stored with the images is to periodically check keyword values. The following procedure can be used to export OnBase keywords to an excel spreadsheet. Once in the spreadsheet, keywords can be sorted and spell check can be performed. The sort option will quickly identify missing keywords and the spell check will identify keywords that are misspelled.
Another issue that can affect retrieval of documents is the use of abbreviations. If you use abbreviations, we recommend their use should be very limited and an approved list of abbreviations and acronyms should be available to all users and indexers. Use the spreadsheet to verify that appropriate abbreviations are being used.
The spreadsheet will not enable you to make changes to the keyword values directly in OnBase but you can note the keywords that need to be fixed and then access the document within OnBase to reindex and apply the corrections.
Keywords are a critical part of finding documents. If keywords are entered manually in your system, a periodic check of keyword integrity is a must-do procedure. Make sure keywords in your system are accurate and complete so that all relevant documents can be located in your system later.
Use this procedure to export OnBase Document Type Keywords into an Excel spreadsheet. The keywords in the Excel spreadsheet can then be grouped, sorted, spell checked and the keyword integrity can be reviewed.
- From the OnBase Thick client, select the Document Type Group and Document Type that contains the keywords for the download. You can use additional index criteria to refine the search results. The results of the search are displayed in the Document Search Results
- Select all of the items in the list by clicking on the first, then scroll to the bottom of the list, and shift-click on the last item in the list. All of the items should be highlighted.
- Right click in the Search Results pane and select Create Keyword List from the drop-down list of options.
- The Generate List Report Based on Keywords window will appear. Select the keywords you want included in the list by clicking on the Keyword and then selecting Add. The keyword you selected should move from the Available column to the Selected Adjust the order of the keywords by using the Move Up and Move Down buttons.
Note: All keywords can be selected at once by using the Add All button. This is the order in which the keywords will appear in the columns of the spreadsheet.
- Select the Add Keyword Type to Header Row button to add Keyword names to report column headings.
- Use the Browse button (bottom center of window) to select where the report will be saved and select CSV (*.csv) in the Save As Type drop-down box.
- Name the report in the File Name Select Save to save the report to the location you specified.
- Click the OK button on the Generate List Report Based on Keywords
- Pending on the number of documents selected in the Search Results list, there could be a pause while the keywords are gathered and exported.
- A System Message window will open reporting that the .csv file has been created. Click the OK
- Close the windows that remain open. Your file should be located where you saved it. You can open the file in Excel by double clicking on it.
Author: Craig Young - Director of Engineering
For more information contact the DoxTek Marketing Department